Taking down a tree in your yard can take some time. You will need to call in the professionals to make sure that the work is done well and that you do not cause damage to your home or have to worry about it falling into your neighbor’s yard or messing with the power lines. But when the tree is gone, you may wonder what you are supposed to do with all of the wood chips that are left behind.
When you have wood chips left over after removing a tree, there are a few things that you can do to take care of them, according to a local Sarasota tree removal company, SRQ Tree Care & Removal Service. You can use them to create a footpath, turn them into mulch, and use them as a landscape filler. This will help you to get rid of the wood chips and keep the area around your home rather than getting rid of them or having them clutter up your yard.
Many homeowners will be confused about what they should do when they have taken down a tree, and they need to handle the wood chips that are left behind. Let’s take a closer look at some of the different things that you can do with these wood chips.
Ways to Use Wood Chips
There are a number of ways that you can utilize the wood chips that are around your home after you remove a tree. While these can seem like a big mess, there are a few options, including:
Use as Mulch
If there is an area around your home where you would like to add some mulch, then these wood chips can make an all-natural option and won’t cost you any more money. You can use a mulch to help insulate the soil and plants and add to your curb appeal. You will need a shovel, rake, and wheelbarrow to get this done. The steps you can use to get this done include the following:
- Use a rake to help get all of the wood chips into a pile.
- Shovel them into the wheelbarrow, keeping the soil out of it as much as possible.
- Sift through the pile and pick out some of the grass as you can. You can keep the pine needles and usable leaves that are mixed in.
- Spread this mulch around the plants, keeping it in even layers, but do not let it get too high. Three inches for your small plants and six inches for big ones are best.
Design a Footpath
Wood chips can make a great design in your yard. As a homeowner, you will be able to use this wood to help you construct a walkway with a warm and welcoming texture that will enhance the look of your property. This is something that your visitors will love.
You can take it to the next level by adding paving stones and borders and then have the chips be a type of filler. This can help you have a designated walk space around the backyard without having to worry about the weeds. Simply get more of the wood chips as they decompose over time.
Use as a Landscape Filler
You can choose to use these wood chips as a type of landscape filler in areas that may need a bit of sprucing up around the home. It is a simple process that will make the space look more beautiful than before. Some ideas that you can consider include the following:
- Cover up the muddy areas: When you have low spots in the yard, they can turn into puddles that are going to take away from the look of the lawn. You can fill them in, add some plants, and put some wood chips there to help make it as safe as possible to walk.
- Spread in raised garden beds: You can use the chips in your garden to help out the soil while also making the beds orderly and more groomed than before. You can use extra chips to make the path look neat and tidy at the same time.
- Disperse around areas where the kids play: If you have a nice playset area, you can add some of the wood chips there. This can make it look better and provide some protection to the area as well.
You can get creative here and find some other uses for the wood chips. This helps to make your yard look a little better and cleans up some of the wood chips that are in the way.
Taking Care of the Wood Chips
There can be quite a few wood chips left when you are done removing a tree from your yard. If you are uncertain about what you should do with the wood chips, you can try out some of the options above. This helps you to put the wood chips to good use rather than leaving them to make a big mess around your yard.