Is It Worth Replacing Aluminum Wiring?


As you take a look at all of the different wiring in your home, you may notice that there is aluminum wiring if you have an older home. This wiring was once a popular option, but most new homes will not have this inside it. As you look at some of the issues that pop up with aluminum wiring, you may wonder whether it is worth the time and money to replace your aluminum wiring with the help of a professional.

According to the professionals at Advantage Electric, our local Hamilton electrician, you should replace the aluminum wiring in your home. This type of wiring is dangerous and can become a fire hazard. If it is too old, it can heat up so much to cause a fire and make a lot of damage in your home.

If your home has aluminum wiring inside, you need to have a professional electrician come in and inspect the wiring to look at whether the wiring is fine for now. Aluminum will degrade over time, so these inspections must happen often. It is usually better to replace the wiring rather than mess with it.

Many older homes have aluminum wiring in them, but this can prove to be very dangerous if you are not careful. Let’s take a closer look at this type of wiring to explore why it may be worth your time to replace the wiring, rather than keeping it there.

Should I Replace the Aluminum Wiring in My Home?

It is a good idea to replace the aluminum wiring in your home. It can cost a bit of money to get it done and takes some time, but it is definitely worth it. If you wait to replace the wiring and do not take care of the problem early on, you may end up with the problem of the whole house catching on fire.

Aluminum wiring heats up when electricity goes through it. When it is first put in, it can handle the heat and does a pretty good job. But as it gets older, the wiring will degrade and get warmer than before. Eventually, it can catch on fire and you will have to worry about ­­all the damage that will happen in your home. The safest solution is to find a professional who will be able to replace the wiring for you.

You should not try to replace the aluminum wiring in your own home. It is a good idea for you to look at having a professional come into your home. They will be able to take a look at the wiring in your home and determine the best course of action to get rid of the old wiring and put in something new. This will keep your home a lot safer and prevents the issue of a potential fire in your home.

What is Wrong with Aluminum Wiring?

There are a number of problems that happen with aluminum wiring. It functions in a similar manner as copper wiring in that they are both going to transmit electricity. A key difference is the cost of the materials. You will find that aluminum is a lot cheaper than copper, which is why a lot of homeowners will choose to go with this option to wire a home, rather than sticking with the more expensive copper.

However, while copper was really common in the past, we do not see it as much right now. This is because there is an inherent danger with aluminum wiring. Aluminum is going to heat up and then expand when it is in use. While copper wiring can do the same thing, aluminum wiring is going to do it much more than copper. When the wire does cool back down after the heat, it will contract. When this constant shift happens, it can make the aluminum wiring degrade, especially over time.

All this constant movement is going to cause the wire to loosen from the screws that are meant to hold it into place. This is another issue because it can create a dangerous connection. You have a problem with a bad connection and a wire that is degrading at the same time. Both of these issues combine to cause overheating. And if you allow it to go on long enough without replacing the wire in your home, it can cause a fire. And that alone is a devastating thing to go through.

Choosing the Right Wiring in Your Home

Picking the right wiring in your home will ensure that you can get the electricity that you need, without all of the hassles or the danger of fire. Aluminum can be highly flammable and the longer that it is in your home, the higher the risk. Working with a qualified electrician will make a difference and helps you keep your home safe.