Is the side of your yard kind of at a slope? It can be difficult to come up with ideas on how to landscape. Well, no worries. Below are some ways that you can have your yard looking nicely landscaped. Just check out all the tips for yourself! Let’s get started!
According to Boston Landscaping Services (www.bostonlandscapingcompany.com/commercial-services.html), sometimes the best way to landscape a sloped side yard is to simply lay down grass. This can be done with seed or with sod. It makes a clean and nice touch. It is important to be careful when laying out seed though. A large amount of water can wash the grass seed away easily. That can result in a bare ground and loss if investment.
Here are the average prices of grass choices:
- Sod- $0.14- $0.16 per square foot.
- Grass seed- A 3-pound bag can cost $15.00. For every 1,000 square feet, you will need approximately 7-8 pounds of seed.
Note: Make sure that you follow the directions on the back of the seed bad when planting grass seed. Sometimes it can take more or less seed. This is because there are many different kinds of grass seed that you can purchase.
Create A Pathway.
Even if you do not plan or intended on walking along the side of your yard much, a pathway still creates a stunning side yard. Not only is it super easy, it takes very little maintenance. Yes, even on a sloped side yard. There are several different pathway ideas at www.pinterest.com.
Here are some basic things you will need:
- Pathway Stones. – This is what you will actually walk on. You can purchase them in many sizes, colors, and shapes. Pick out some that you would like. The choices are endless.
- Red mulch usually gives the best appearance for this project. It makes the area pop. You can use any mulch that you would like though. Remember that it will need to be placed properly along the pathway around the path rocks. The mulch will need to be replaced to keep quality color and look. Probably once a year.
- Small Rocks. These can be used instead of using mulch. It is more of a permanent method. You simply lay them around the path rocks like you would the mulch.
- In order to keep the mulch or rock in when the rain comes you will need to create a border. You can do this by getting some larger rocks and placing them on top of each other along the outer side of the pathway. Not only does this secure your mulch or rock, it adds a stunning touch to the pathway.
Design A Side Sloped Garden.
You may be wondering how this is possible. Rain will come along and wash it all away. No one wants that! However, there are some plants that you can plant that will not wash away on a slope. You can find more information at www.bayeradvanced.com. They create a stunning design.
Build Flower Boxes.
You can take flower boxes and design them along the slope. It will be more of a garden area. Picture them like steps. Actually design a walkway in between each of the boxes so that you can maintain them. Not only will you be able to plant whatever you like, you will also have a little oasis right there in your yard.
Another way to landscape that sloped side yard of yours is to add steps. This makes the path easy to travel and adds a uniquely designed touch. It will take some work mixing the concrete and making a good foundation, but it is certainly worth it.
If your sloped side yard is big enough you can actually build a deck along with it. When properly designed the deck will add a clean and clear pathway on your side yard. Not only is it useful it is also a great touch. This can be a bit pricey, but well worth every penny.
Tip: Installing a deck walkway can take a lot of time and money. It will be much more efficient in the end to have a professional come and install the deck. They have the tools and everything needed including designs that will be efficient. It takes a lot of planning for someone who has never completed building a deck.
Before You Go!
Most people do not think that they can do anything with a sloped side yard. That could not be further from the truth. There are endless ideas and designs. Try some of the ideas listed above. Also, if you would like some more information you can check out this YouTube video.